Vanessid Butterflies of the Nymphalidae family in Europe
This large group of butterflies are well represented throughout much of Europe and include some of the most commonly seen and beautiful butterflies.
Amongst them are the group known as ‘Vanessids’, several of which are often seen nectaring on garden plants.
The Fritillary butterflies are particularly well represented in this family and feature separately in the European Fritillary butterfly gallery.
The photographs of Nymphalid butterflies featured include those taken by Paul Browning on his trips to Spain.
Two-tailed Pasha (Charaxes jasius)
Purple Emperor (Apatura iris)
Lesser Purple Emperor (Apatura ilia)
Southern White Admiral butterfly (Limenitis reducta)
Camberwell Beauty butterfly (Nymphalis antiopa)
Peacock butterfly (Inachis io)
Small Tortoiseshell butterfly (Aglais urticae)
Large Tortoiseshell butterfly (Nymphalis polychoros)
Red Admiral butterfly (Vanessa atalanta)
Map butterfly (Araschnia levana)
Painted Lady butterfly (Vanessa cardui)
Links to Other European Butterfly Galleries
- European Swallowtail Butterfly family (Papilionidae)
- European White and Yellow Butterflies (Pieridae)
- European Nettle-tree Butterfly (Libytheidae)
- European Duke of Burgundy Butterfly (Riodinidae)
- European Blue Butterflies (Lycaenidae)
- European Hairstreak Butterflies (Lycaenidae)
- European Copper Butterflies (Lycaenidae)
- European Skipper Butterflies (Hesperiidae)
- European Monarch Butterflies (Danaidae)
- European Vanessid Butterflies (Nymphalidae) – this page
- European Fritillary Butterflies (Nymphalidae)
- European Brown Butterflies (Satyridae)