The Small Copper is the only Copper Butterfly species resident in the British Isles.
The Large Copper became extinct in the British Isles over 150 years ago but is still found in other localised parts of Europe.
There are 10 species of Copper butterfly in Europe
The copper butterflies in the family Lycaeninae are shown in the gallery below.
Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas)
The Small Copper Butterfly species page has images and descriptions of the butterfly and its life cycle including caterpillar and pupa.
Links to Other British Butterfly Galleries:
- British Skipper butterflies (Hesperiidae)
- British Swallowtail butterflies (Papilionidae)
- British White and yellow butterflies (Pieridae)
- British Hairstreak butterflies (Theclinae)
- British Copper butterflies (Lycaeninae) – this page
- British Blue butterflies (Polyommatinae) and Metalmark butterflies (Riodinidae)
- British Vanessid butterflies (Nymphalinae) and Admiral butterflies (Limenitidinae) and Emperor butterflies (Apaturinae)
- British Fritillary butterflies (Heliconiinae)
- British Brown butterflies (Satyrinae)