Brown Butterflies of the Nymphalidae sub family Satyrinae
There are 11 species in this group resident in the British Isles. Apart from the Marbled White most are shades of brown and orange which may be variable according to gender. Small spots, often referred to as ‘eye-spots’, are also present on forewings and hindwings of many species. Some species such as The Grayling and both Small and Large Heaths always settle with wings closed.
There is an ongoing debate amongst taxonomists as to whether this group of butterflies merit a separate family classification – Satyridae. In Europe the Satyridae or Satyrinae sub family of Nymphalidae have about one third of the European butterfly species.
Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria)
The Speckled Wood Butterfly species page has images and descriptions of the butterfly and its life cycle including caterpillar and pupa.
The Speckled Wood butterflies found in many parts of Europe are noticeably more orange than those in the British Isles.
Wall (Lasiommata megera)
Mountain Ringlet (Erebia epiphron)
Scotch Argus (Erebia aethiops)
Marbled White (Melanargia galathea)
Grayling (Hipparchia semele)
Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus)
Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina)
The Meadow Brown Butterfly species page has images and descriptions of the butterfly and its life cycle including caterpillar and pupa.
Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus)
The Ringlet Butterfly species page has images and descriptions of the butterfly and its life cycle including caterpillar and pupa.
Small Heath (Coenonympha pamphilus)
Large Heath (Coenonympha tullia)
Links to Other British Butterfly Galleries:
- British Skipper butterflies (Hesperiidae)
- British Swallowtail butterflies (Papilionidae)
- British White and yellow butterflies (Pieridae)
- British Hairstreak butterflies (Theclinae)
- British Copper butterflies (Lycaeninae)
- British Blue butterflies (Polyommatinae) and Metalmark butterflies (Riodinidae)
- British Vanessid butterflies (Nymphalinae) and Admiral butterflies (Limenitidinae) and Emperor butterflies (Apaturinae)
- British Fritillary butterflies (Heliconiinae)
- British Brown butterflies (Satyrinae) – this page