The Blue Butterflies belong to the sub family Polyommatinae of the large Lycaenidae family
There are 9 species of these little blue butterflies resident in the British Isles. Although, depending on species and gender, not all are blue.
In excess of 80 species of ‘blue’ butterfly occur in Europe. A few have strong migratory instincts such as the Long-tailed Blue which is occassionaly recorded in Southern England.
The metalmark butterflies in the family Riodinidae are shown at the bottom of the page.
Small Blue (Cupido minimus)
Silver-studded Blue (Plebeius argus)
Brown Argus (Aricia agestis)
Northern Brown Argus (Aricia artaxerxes)
Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus)
The Common Blue Butterfly species page has images and descriptions of the butterfly and its life cycle including caterpillar and pupa.
Chalkhill Blue (Lysandra coridon)
Adonis Blue (Lysandra bellargus)
Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus)
The Holly Blue Butterfly species page has images and descriptions of the butterfly and its life cycle including caterpillar and pupa.
Large Blue (Maculinea arion)
Long-tailed Blue (Lampides boeticus)
The Long-tailed Blue butterfly is a scarce migrant to the British Isles. Although a common species in parts of continental Europe and a strong flyer its seems unable to survive the UK winters at any stage of its life cycle.
The male featured was recorded in a Cornish garden as part of an unusually large influx along the southern coast in 2019 – More information
Other images of the Long-tailed Blue are featured in the Spanish butterfly gallery.
Duke of Burgundy (Hamearis lucina)
Other butterfly galleries:
- Skipper butterflies (Hesperiidae)
- Swallowtail butterflies (Papilionidae)
- White and yellow butterflies (Pieridae)
- Hairstreak butterflies (Theclinae)
- Copper butterflies (Lycaeninae)
- Blue butterflies (Polyommatinae) and Metalmark butterflies (Riodinidae) – this page
- Vanessid butterflies (Nymphalinae) and Admiral butterflies (Limenitidinae) and Emperor butterflies (Apaturinae)
- Fritillary butterflies (Heliconiinae)
- Brown butterflies (Satyrinae)